Rock & Roll + Gore = Awesome

Posted by Movie Dad On Sunday, February 1, 2009 0 comments



"Repo: The Genetic Opera - In the year 2056 - the not so distant future - an epidemic of organ failures devastates the planet. Out of the tragedy, a savior emerges: GeneCo, a biotech company that offers organ transplants, for a price. Those who miss their payments are scheduled for repossession and hunted by villainous Repo Men. In a world where surgery addicts are hooked on painkilling drugs and murder is sanctioned by law, a sheltered young girl searches for the cure to her own rare disease as well as information about her family's mysterious history. After being sucked into the haunting world of GeneCo, she is unable to turn back, as all of her questions will be answered at the wildly anticipated spectacular event: The Genetic Opera."-Lionsgate

Stars:Alexa Vega, Paul Sorvino, Anthony Head, Sarah Brightman, Paris Hilton, Bill Moseley, Nivek Ogre, Terrance Zdunich, Sarah Power

When I first heard about Repo, the concept sounded promising. Directed by Darren Lynn Bousman (SAW II, III, IV), i had pretty high hopes on the gore factor. Now marrying that to a rock & roll opera soundtrack sounded even more titillating. Now being a man I can admit I like the occasional musical, Rocky Horror, Moulin Rouge, Rent and Annie (my favorite-I am straight and married) so I had no qualms about seeing a musical. I was disappointed when it only had a limited release in my area so I did not get a chance t o see it in theaters so I had to wait for dvd.

Usually when viewing a movie at home I sometimes prefer to watch it alone or with my wife as i do not like alot of distractions so that I may give the film my full attention (side note: My wife and I are expecting or first child so this rational is going to have to be readdressed). At this viewing I had a couple a friends over, one of which had already seen Repo a couple of times but to her credit she did not spoil any part of the movie.

As Repo played I really started to get into it despite warning from a friend who thought it was a horrible mix of mediocre story telling that made no sense and Static X like music mixed with the most awful of singing. I completely disagree him except for the singing. The entire cast except Bill Mosley and Nivek Ogre had decent to amazing singing chops. I was even surprised by Paris Hilton role as a spoiled heiress was not a stretch but done well. The music reminded me of a cross between Rocky Horror and The musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There were about 6 words of dialog in Repo that were not sung so be prepared for that.

The acting was on par for this type of genre. Not Academy Award material but not Master of Disguise. It was nice to see Alexa Vega shed her Spy Kids image I had of her and step into a more adult role but I just hope it does not type cast her. The other characters are not fleshed out all the way, but it is not a problem because you do not want to get too attached to them. Despite Bill Moseley's horrid singing, his character was one of my favorites. Sarah Brightman in one of her first acting roles was pleasant if not creepy to watch. Paul Sorvino was there doing his Romeo & Juliet thing.

The gore. Darren Lynn Bousman did not let me down. He took what he learned over at the SAW franchise and adapted it for Repo. There was plenty of blood and guts to go around. So much so, some of it was even comical in a good way (watch for the hand puppet and frequent shirt changes).

All in all I was impressed enough to put Repo on rotation in my dvd player. I recommend it to those of you who enjoy a good musical with a side eviscerated innards.

0 comments:

Post a Comment